Academic Registrar’s department Busitema University
The Department of the Academic Registrar derives its mandate from the University and other Tertiary institutions’ Act 2001 as amended. The department is headed by the Academic Registrar.The Academic Registrar’s responsible to the Vice Chancellor. The Academic Registrar assists the First Deputy Vice Chancellor in the administration and organization of all academic matters including admission, Development, Implementation and Review of the Curriculum, undergraduate and postgraduate studies, examination management, research and publication.
The Academic Registrars Department has 2 Divisions namely;
a) Admissions and Students’ Records manned by Mr. Ivan Mugabi
b) Teaching and Learning including examination management and curriculum development and headed by Mr. Willy Kisaka.
The Academic Affairs department located at the Main Campus in Busitema has a number of staff that ensure smooth running of the office including Ms. Betty Muhegwa as Senior Personal Assistant, Mr. Wareen Oundo, the Systems Analyst and Mr. Ronald Ochieng the Records’ Assistant together with Mr. Raphael Owor the Office Assistant.
The academic registrar is assisted by the Deputy Academic Registrar who currently sits at the faculty of Agriculture and Animal Science in Arapia; Ms. Rehema Eton. Given the uniqueness of the university with six campuses of the Academic registrar is represented by assistant Academic Registrars in all campuses namely:
Ms. Chris Achieng at the Faculty of Science and Education in Nagongera
Mr. Humphry Taabu Obuso at the Faculty of Engineering in Busitema
Mr. Lucas Okwaling Faculty of Management Science in Palisa
Mr. Henry Tasiwuka in Namasagi faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental science
Ms. Alice Nakaye at the Faculty of Health Sciences in Mbale
The main Functions of the Academic Registrar at Busitema include the following:
- Planning and coordinating curriculum development for all programmes and courses taught at the university.
- Coordinating the implementation of all academic policies and procedure approved by Council on the recommendation of Senate.
- Directing and coordinating the implementation of regulations governing students’ admission for all programmes, by ensuring that all students admitted to the various courses in the University have the required qualifications.
- Overseeing the preparation of timetables for teaching and examinations in different Faculties and campuses.
- Directing the safe custody of all documents and data relating to admissions, examinations and all academic results.
- Overseeing the maintenance and development of the student records system. This involves overseeing the implementation and development of technical and operational systems for managing student enrolment, registration, assessment, progress and graduation
- Ensuring the provision of relevant, accurate and detailed student data, to support a wide variety of academic and administrative processes, including monitoring procedures, internal and external reporting requirements.
- Coordinating the timely preparation, setting and moderation of examinations.
- Directing compliance with approved university schedules for setting and marking of examinations and the release of result.
- Coordinating the marking of examinations and making all the arrangements to source for external examiners
- Overseeing the mechanism to ensure that there is no examination leakages or malpractice in all faculties.
- Coordinating and ensuring that Senate approves all results before they are released to the university community.
- Ensuring that Academic Ceremonies such as Graduation are successfully organized.
- Responsible for production of Academic Transcripts and Certificates.
- Responsible for the timely handling of election of Deans / Directors / Heads of Academic Departments.
- Providing Leadership and overall Management of the Academic Registrar’s Department including Financial Management.
- Coordinating proper management of all academic programmes.
- Organizing and coordinating the University Alumni.
- Providing Secretarial services to the Senate and its committees.